requiring .desktop files to be executable ?

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Wed Feb 25 02:38:52 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/2/25 Michael Pyne <mpyne at purinchu.net>:
> > It still doesn't guarantee every .desktop file that users need will be
> > found though, so I believe some kind of dialog will be necessary. I know
> > they have code now to perform the permissions upgrade so the dialog
> > itself shouldn't be too hard I would imagine.
>
> Heh, I'm against such a dialog.  I can't really see how it can be
> worded without just confusing the user even more.

Sorry, I'm referring to the normal "you're about to run this program" dialog
we have to do the job.  I'm saying they're going to need it whether or not
they have an auto-upgrade script -- there's no way to find all the .desktop
files that may possibly need upgrading without searching '/', and that won't
fix files that the user doesn't own.

Of course, our dialog doesn't do that either, but at least the user will know
there's an issue.  (I guess we can see about handling that case better some
day)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne