requiring .desktop files to be executable ?

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Wed Feb 25 02:23:14 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/2/24 David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> > There is no migration tool, users are supposed to make executable by hand
> > the few desktop files that they use from $HOME or Desktop... Only they
> > can tell if it's (1) (2) or (3), that's the whole point of the security
> > measure.
>
> From the xdg list, the gnome guys are adding a migration tool.  Might
> be worth you joining and voicing your objections against the idea
> there.

Or at the very least against the idea of doing it automatically without user
intervention.  It's a different thing if the user asks for it.

It still doesn't guarantee every .desktop file that users need will be found
though, so I believe some kind of dialog will be necessary.  I know they have
code now to perform the permissions upgrade so the dialog itself shouldn't be
too hard I would imagine.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne