.desktop security changes are committed

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Sun Feb 22 23:07:18 GMT 2009

On Sunday 22 February 2009, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Sunday 22 February 2009 01:04:48 pm Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > Well, I'd click through anyways just because I have a low attention span
> > and I don't feel like reading an amount of text like that. I think that
> > the text still needs to be trimmed down quite a bit.
>
> The problem with clickthrough is that if you do that without understanding
> what you are doing, you can do something potentially harmful. We want to
> try and prevent that.
>
> Right now there is so much text in the dialog that it almost discourages
> you from reading it. I was hoping to try and make the first sentence as a
> one-stop- shop of what is going on (in case you dont read the rest of the
> dialog), but it is still a bit too long to quickly understand what is going
> on. You are right that the text needs to be trimmed down a bit.

Alright so Tom and I have talked, how about something like this:

 "This will start the program '%s'.  If you are unsure of the origin, click
Cancel."

 " (Details >>) --> would expand to name, Exec= line, perhaps the comment
info"  (or Details could be a underlined link with the same info)

This is significantly less text but I think it gets the same point across.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne