requiring .desktop files to be executable ?

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Wed Feb 18 01:38:46 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> Let's not let this thread die again.  It is really important to come
> to a solution.
>
> How about allowing execution if any of following conditions are set:
> * x-bit it set
> * owned by root
> * In a standard path

Why allow both root exception and std path exception?  It seems to me that
they cover the same case.

> If a desktop file is run that doesn't fit these requirement, we warn
> the user harshly, set the x-bit if they agree anyway, and continue to
> run.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having an Override button in the prompt but
definitely we need to include some way of having the user be able to fix it (I
just think it's better if it takes more than one click, i.e. click to open the
.desktop file properties or something).

Also, what do we actually break on existing systems by making this change?  Do
we need to make like a kconf_update script for upgrades or would the existing
exceptions we have work?  To figure this out we need to know what we use
executable .desktop files for.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne