requiring .desktop files to be executable ?

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:56:02 GMT 2009

2009/2/13 Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org>:
> On Friday 13 February 2009, Kevin Ottens wrote:
>> > I'd say to be consistent, and require that every desktop file needs
>> > to have the exec bit set. [...]
>> >  The real problem anyway is the upgrade path after this change is
>> > introduced. [...]
>>
>> Hence why requiring the +x bit everywhere would be shortsighted.
>> Requiring it only in non standard places is a much much better
>> upgrade path IMO. You can keep it this way and be backward
>> compatible. This way you can wait until the standard is changed and
>> most software are following it before making the +x bit mandatory
>> everywhere.
>
> Well, you cut from my mail  the part where I wrote: "The only problem
> might be that other (non-KDE)
> applications installing desktop files might not be executable when KDE
> makes the switch. Ok, in this case the above makes sense until the
> standard requires them to be executable."
>
> The problem after doing this change for the user's desktop files (like
> the ones on the desktop) remains.
>
> Andras

Let's not let this thread die again.  It is really important to come
to a solution.

How about allowing execution if any of following conditions are set:
* x-bit it set
* owned by root
* In a standard path

If a desktop file is run that doesn't fit these requirement, we warn
the user harshly, set the x-bit if they agree anyway, and continue to
run.

Thoughts?

John