.kde or .kde4

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Feb 9 22:23:18 GMT 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009, Vedran Furač wrote:
> Hi!, I'm not subscribed to the list so I'm bypassing it.
(You can still post though, the messages get moderated in)

> David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 07 February 2009, Loïc Marteau wrote:
> Apart from reducing mess in my home directory, it would be easier to
> create backup of one directory which holds all the configuration (like
> /etc) instead of N directories/files spread out throughout my ~.
>
> Btw, it should be (by default) in ~/.config/KDE/, ~/.local/share is data
> dir.

Right.

> > No application other than kmail will ever read it -- and this would make it
> > more difficult to use the $KDEHOME trick to separate settings from two
> > versions of KDE.
>
> Why not:
>
> ~/.config/KDE3  ($XDG_CONFIG_HOME/$KDEHOME)
> ~/.config/KDE4  ($XDG_CONFIG_HOME/$KDEHOME)

(the current meaning of $KDEHOME is that it's a full path, not a relative path,
and that it contains much more than just config stuff, so it would have to be
another var, but apart from that, that would work indeed)

=> Yes, why not.
Changing this now would be a rather big migration issue though
(I wonder if kconf_update would do the job since it itself has to read stuff
from a config file...)
... and we have far more urgent things to fix IMHO.
But this sounds like something that could more easily be done at KDE 5 time,
unless someone volunteers to do it [properly] before.