KDE/kdebase/workspace/ksmserver

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 10:52:12 GMT 2009

On lunedì 09 febbraio 2009 11:20:09 Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  I read that. Until the user confirms the logout, there's no problem. After
> the logout is confirmed, apps get a notification and can either cancel the
> logout (and thus shutdown) or other way around PowerDevil can ignore the
> suspend if it's done during logout. The Qt API for session management is
> rather limited, but what other problem is there besides that?
>
>  Libkdeui has KSessionManager class, which can do the same without the need
> to subclass QApplication. Or for cases like KDED modules where KDED itself
> provides the application object.

Ok, that's probably what I was looking for, QSessionManager seemed pretty
limited in fact

> > In any case, if putting such a signal can be an issue,
>
>  It certainly looks like a kludge instead of a proper solution after the
> first look.
>
> > I already have a
> > patch that triggers an inhibition from ksmserver. This could be even
> > cleaner and a preferrable way, so in any case I think I'm going to revert
> > the commit. Though, if anyone wants to review this, I can post the patch
> > on the list.
>
>  Yes, I would want to see such a patch before it would be committed.

Ok, I'd rather use that instead of the signal or the session manager for a
variety of reasons, mainly:

1) Proper handling of logout cancellation: KSMServer stores the inhibition
cookie and is able to release it in case the logout gets canceled

2) Talking about standard protocols, inhibition should actually be the
preferred one, it's future proof, and does not require modification in other
places

At the moment I'm at university, I hope I'll be able to send the patch to the
list by this evening

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer