preformance issues with oxygen style and window decoration

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 8 00:32:15 GMT 2009

> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:42:15PM +0000, Robert Knight wrote:
> Hej Robert,
>
>> Ultimately for really old hardware of the sort that you are describing
>> and thin clients I suspect that the Oxygen
>> style just isn't going to work because of the large gradients and
>> other effects that it features as part of the design.
> After some deeper testing it actually seems to be only the window
> decoration that
> cause the slowness. Does the kwin decoration code somehow interact for
> popup menus as well?
> When using for example Keramik window decoration, oxygen style is usable
> just fine.

Well, the above will likely negate what I am about to say; but this thread
reminded me that I've seen a hotspot/inefficiency in oxygen in some
profiles, so I looked at it some more. In short, could you please try the
attached patch? It's proof-of-concept only; it has not been reviewed
by/discussed with Oxygen developers, but it'll hopefully say if it's worth
addressing or not.

-Maks