preformance issues with oxygen style and window decoration

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Sat Feb 7 17:12:07 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:42:15PM +0000, Robert Knight wrote:
Hej Robert,

> Ultimately for really old hardware of the sort that you are describing
> and thin clients I suspect that the Oxygen
> style just isn't going to work because of the large gradients and
> other effects that it features as part of the design.
After some deeper testing it actually seems to be only the window decoration that
cause the slowness. Does the kwin decoration code somehow interact for
popup menus as well?
When using for example Keramik window decoration, oxygen style is usable
just fine.

> On older hardware you may also run into color banding problems if they
> can't do 24 bit color at the native display
> resolution.
No no, my system supports 24 bit for sure ;)

> I agree that KDE 4 should be able to be run acceptably on older
> hardware, though not necessarily with the default style
> and all its effects.
Yes, but oxygen decoration seems to be buggy by doing several repaints for
no reason. I just want to point out that on high-end systems the developer
might not notice it, but on normal systems it is visible and gives a bad impression.
So if that bug could be fixed, maybe the slowness vanishes as well.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!