.kde or .kde4

Loïc Marteau loic.marteau at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 17:26:00 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Michael Pyne <mpyne at purinchu.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 07 February 2009, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
>> On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009 23:30:57 Nathan England wrote:
>> > What is the prefered ~/ config directory for kde 4.2 ?
>>
>> While we default to ~/.kde, you should be able to use both, so stay with
>> ~/.kde4 if you're happy with it. Any KDE application relying on ~/.kde is
>> certainly broken.
>
> KDE applications shouldn't muck about in the directory anyways, use the
> kdelibs methods for accessing data instead. And if they do, they should use
> the KDEHOME environment variable first (KDEHOME being unset is where default
> values come into play).
>
> Regards,
> - Michael Pyne

About that i would like to point out this link :
http://ploum.frimouvy.org/?184-cleaning-user-preferences-keeping-user-data

Kde doesn't use the recommended freedesktop.org stuff for putting conf
files and user data.
It is not as bad as gnome and gnome apps : they put a lot of .dir in
the home directory itself. As a user i think that it is bad to
polluate the ~ like that and that can make a bad feeling for beginners
in linux world.

Perhaps kde can just do a little better than what he does actually for
that and try to follow the fdo spec ?!

Cheers.