preformance issues with oxygen style and window decoration

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 12:42:15 GMT 2009

> IMHO computers with 500MHz-1GHz are still quite common (especially in offices),
> so we shouldn't support only the highend computers if we want a broad adoption
> of KDE 4.

Ultimately for really old hardware of the sort that you are describing
and thin clients I suspect that the Oxygen
style just isn't going to work because of the large gradients and
other effects that it features as part of the design.
On older hardware you may also run into color banding problems if they
can't do 24 bit color at the native display
resolution.

I agree that KDE 4 should be able to be run acceptably on older
hardware, though not necessarily with the default style
and all its effects.  For consistency and 'branding' it would be nice
if users didn't have to switch to an alternative style which has no
resemblance to the high-end one though.  Oxygen Lite perhaps?

Regards,
Robert.