preformance issues with oxygen style and window decoration

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Fri Feb 6 18:17:41 GMT 2009

Hej,

when using a KDE 4.2 desktop with Qt 4.4 or 4.5 RC it feels
really slow on not up-to-date hardware. The problem is not the
hardware as KDE 3.5 works fine and also not Qt (what my first suspicion was).
In fact it is the oxygen style _and_ oxygen window decoration.

When switching a window between normal and maximized state, the
window decoration is drawn 3 times for no obvious reason!
The slowness of the style can be checked by switching between menus
in a menu bar. With, for example the Plastique style, the menus
appear nearly immediatly, while with oxygen style one have to wait for
them...

Also when closing a window, the window below needs more time to update
when using the oxygen window decoration then when using another decoration
(no idea why that is though...)

I don't want to bash oxygen here, I really like the style and want to use
it, however in the current state it is unpleasant to do so...

Could some of the style developers please take a look at it what could
be wrong there? If your CPU supports it, please throttel it down to 500MHz,
then you can see the problems quite well.

IMHO computers with 500MHz-1GHz are still quite common (especially in offices),
so we shouldn't support only the highend computers if we want a broad adoption
of KDE 4.

If I can help by testing patches or so, feel free to drop me a mail.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!