Making okular the default program for tiff files?

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 20:37:48 GMT 2009

2009/12/23 Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/23 Stefan Majewsky <majewsky at gmx.net>:
>> Am Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2009 09:49:16 schrieb Andras Mantia:
>>>  TIFF is "interesting", it can be plain graphics where a graphic editing
>>> app fits more for them, or it can be a multipage document (produced by
>>> FAX applications), where Okular would be a better choice.
>>
>> I would in this case prefer an approach that files are opened in a viewer
>> first, and the viewer offers a button to open the editor of choice. This could
>> be extended where applicable.
>
> Multipage TIFF files are generated also by software that comes with
> scientific microscopes, they are called TIFF stacks there. These files
> are either single images or movies. The use-case where you have
> multiple pages you want to page through does not arise there. TIFF
> stacks are used because they store the movies losslessly.

An example of such use can be found here:
  http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/images/blood-brain-barrier.zip
This zip contains a tif stack of 72 images. Okular is the only KDE
program I know that can show all frames/pages.

(ImageJ is a very popular program with biologists and physists for
analyzing microscope data.)

Cheers,
Jos