Change shape over icons (file-dialog)

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Tue Dec 8 13:51:32 GMT 2009

On Tuesday, 8. December 2009 14:37:13 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Peter Penz wrote:
[...]
> > > Any thoughts? I don't want to start a bikeshed discussion, but maybe
> > > I'm missing an aspect of this option...
> >
> > I think changing the cursor over icon is a good indicator that a click
> > is not going to select the item, but rather trigger an "heavier"
> > (suggestions for a better word?) action like starting an application or
> > going inside a folder.
> >
> > I believe the option should not be there, instead we should have a
> > policy which says something like this: "when single-clicking an item
> > results in an 'heavier' action than selecting the item, the cursor
> > should change to Qt::PointingHandCursor" (the sentence is poor, but
> > hopefully you get what I mean)
>
> I agree.
>
> BTW this means the file dialog doesn't need to change the cursor, even
> QDialog::accept() is not a heavy action, compared to a file manager
> starting an application.
>
> So basically only dolphin needs to implement the pointing hand cursor (no
> option needed), the existing code you found (digikam, gwenview etc.) can
> stay but should just be cleaned up of the if()s, the kcm checkbox should be
> removed, and the kglobalsettings method deprecated.

Sounds good. If there are no further objections, I'll take care for this
points after KDE SC 4.4.0 has been released and will get in contact with the
application maintainers (I think I need to push a little bit the Dolphin
maintainer, but I'm confident that I can convince him ;-)). I'll submit a
review request at the reviewboard...