Review Request: Mouse wheel interaction with breadcrumb-style address bar

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:44:15 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 06 December 2009 09:11:19 Todd wrote:
> I think this would be much more intuitive (and apple-like) if the list of
> directories would be shown and scrolled/animated when using the wheel.
> (This is even more related to the "show the subdirectories as list" feature
> obviously.)

I am specifically trying to avoid that.  The whole point of the mouse
wheel interaction is to be able to move quickly and easily through
directories without having to bother with the menu.  Now bringing up
the menu the normal way and then using the mouse wheel on it is
probably a good idea, but I absolutely do not want the mouse wheel to
trigger the menu.

> Also, I share Peter's thoughts about the "go-up" feature, because this action
> is quite destructive and should not be activated so easily.

I'm not sure I consider it "easy", horizontal scrolling seems hard to
do by accident to me (you have to hold alt and then use the mouse
wheel).  But at least making it so you have to be over one of the
directories to do it is probably reasonable.

The reason I did it both ways is because I think different people will
have to different ideas about which direction constitutes "up", and
going "down" is meaningless in this regard so there is no point having
it.