Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 16:56:54 GMT 2009

Hi Hugo,

> I don't agree with your point. In the situation you describe above, you would have animations that look
> better on Windows/Gnome/Mac Os than on KDE +With Oxygen+. You can switch style, fork style (e.g. Ozone).

You miss my point I think.  Applications might not work properly under
KDE with Oxygen (which is the default setup on many popular KDE
distributions) if Oxygen does overly unexpected things to widgets.
This might be a small visual glitch in the best case or an application
crash in the worst case - making it unusable.  In that case it will
'work better' on Windows etc. just by virtue of working at all.
Changing the style for a single application is not an easy thing to
do.

> I'd think that people would switch style before switching OS. (In fact, some distributions do not even come with oxygen style as the default. E.g. mandriva).

Some technically savvy users might know how to change the style for a
particular application that is broken by it, in which case they are
still suffering because the application looks non-native.  Everyone
else will use a different program or more likely a web app which will
look and work the same on all platforms (or at least if it does fail,
will probably do so more gracefully)

Regards,
Robert.