Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Dec 2 16:35:21 GMT 2009

Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 09:43:57 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
>> The widget is not changed behind
>> the developer back.
>
> I think the important point is not that this was changed behind the
> developer's back, but that some app developers relied on undocumented
> behavior. (After all, it was not documented that QLabel's text will update
> without any animation.)

Compare this with QAbstractButton:

----
void QAbstractButton::animateClick ( int msec = 100 )   [slot]

Performs an animated click: the button is pressed immediately, and
released msec milliseconds later (the default is 100 ms).

void QAbstractButton::click ()   [slot]

Performs a click.
----

Since I am used to Qt consistency, I expect setText(QString) to set
text, not do graphical effects. I also expect setText(QString) to be
quite lightweight.

I would have expected the method to set the text with a smooth
transition to be called animateSetText(QString, int msec = 100)

Aurélien