Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Dec 2 16:27:05 GMT 2009

Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> On 12/02/2009 06:48 AM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 09:43:57 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
>>
>>> The widget is not changed behind
>>> the developer back.
>>>
>> I think the important point is not that this was changed behind the
>> developer's back,
>
> In fact thinking about it: isn't the whole idea of QStyle/KStyle to
> change widgets behind the developer's back ? When we (Nuno or I) change
> the tab shape, or the main window background gradients, or the checkmark
> in radio buttons, we do all that behind dev's back don't we ?
> So now there is a limit to what a style can and cannot change, and I
> don't know where it is. I've read reports that bespin did pass the limit
> (e.g. by adding specific hacks for dedicated applications), and oxygen
> might well have passed it with e.g. qlabel animations. If this is the
> case, well, fine, I can remove the animation. But again, this is not
> obvious to me where the limit is and this might need further discussion
> (or specification).

I think the limit can be stated like this: a style should not have side
effects on existing code. For example if I write this:

label->setText("Foo");
label->adjustSize();
QSize size = label->size();

Then I expect 'size' to contain the size needed by 'label' to display
"Foo", not the size needed to display the previous content.

Aurélien