Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo at oxygen-icons.org
Wed Dec 2 15:45:27 GMT 2009

On 12/02/2009 06:48 AM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. Dezember 2009 09:43:57 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
>
>> The widget is not changed behind
>> the developer back.
>>
> I think the important point is not that this was changed behind the
> developer's back,

In fact thinking about it: isn't the whole idea of QStyle/KStyle to
change widgets behind the developer's back ? When we (Nuno or I) change
the tab shape, or the main window background gradients, or the checkmark
in radio buttons, we do all that behind dev's back don't we ?
So now there is a limit to what a style can and cannot change, and I
don't know where it is. I've read reports that bespin did pass the limit
(e.g. by adding specific hacks for dedicated applications), and oxygen
might well have passed it with e.g. qlabel animations. If this is the
case, well, fine, I can remove the animation. But again, this is not
obvious to me where the limit is and this might need further discussion
(or specification).
>   but that some app developers relied on undocumented
> behavior. (After all, it was not documented that QLabel's text will update
> without any animation.)
>
> By the way, could a possible solution be that the animation is not played when
> the text is changed while the QLabel is not visible?

that's the behavior I intended to have, but maybe I got it wrong. Let me
double check :)