Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Dec 2 08:43:57 GMT 2009

Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> On 12/01/2009 04:43 PM, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> Hugo Pereira Da Costa a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Aurelien,
>>>
>>> I'd like to get others input on the QLabel thing (I'm surprised by "few
>>> seconds" though. In fact tooltip labels are animated to but it takes
>>> normally a couple of hundred milliseconds for the text to be updated in
>>> a smooth way there). Now well, yeah. We can dump it ... It does look
>>> good for some apps (e.g openbrain plasmoid), but creates quite some
>>> issues on others ... sad enough.
>>>
>> It is most likely milliseconds indeed. But still, if it looks cool in
>> some apps, then provide this feature as a separate widget so that these
>> apps can use it.
>>
> well, style is not widgets ... and kdeui is outside of my domain of
> expertise ...

Mmm... reminds me of Bespin style "fixing" Amarok UI. I am sure you can
find skilled people ready to create an animated KLabel if need be.

> so that's effectively disabling the animation ...
> now setting a property on a given widget (at the app level) is not much
> different  from using a different widget is it ? (well it is in the
> sense that different styles may or may not catch the property, but ...)

The difference is that it's an opt-in: the widget is not changed behind
the developer back.

> Question is then: should the animation be "on" or "off" by default
> (unless the relevant property is found).
> My understanding is that you advocate (in this case) for "off".

Would work for me, but would probably be a pain for developers willing
to use these animations.

Aurélien