Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo at oxygen-icons.org
Tue Dec 1 23:54:03 GMT 2009

On 12/01/2009 04:43 PM, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Hugo Pereira Da Costa a écrit :
>
>> Hi Aurelien,
>>
>> I'd like to get others input on the QLabel thing (I'm surprised by "few
>> seconds" though. In fact tooltip labels are animated to but it takes
>> normally a couple of hundred milliseconds for the text to be updated in
>> a smooth way there). Now well, yeah. We can dump it ... It does look
>> good for some apps (e.g openbrain plasmoid), but creates quite some
>> issues on others ... sad enough.
>>
> It is most likely milliseconds indeed. But still, if it looks cool in
> some apps, then provide this feature as a separate widget so that these
> apps can use it.

well, style is not widgets ... and kdeui is outside of my domain of
expertise ...
so that's effectively disabling the animation ...
now setting a property on a given widget (at the app level) is not much
different  from using a different widget is it ? (well it is in the
sense that different styles may or may not catch the property, but ...)
Question is then: should the animation be "on" or "off" by default
(unless the relevant property is found).
My understanding is that you advocate (in this case) for "off".

>> I can comment on progressbars though. In fact the konqueror progress bar
>> also shows the same weirdness when loading some pages: this is due to
>> the fact that when you set a new value to a progressbar, the style
>> cannot know whether this is a new "progress" (for the same process) or a
>> "reset" when a new process to starts.
>>
>> One way around that I can think of is to only animate progress bar if
>> you move forward (increasing progress), and respond instantly if you
>> move backward. That would fix the weirdness you mention at least. But it
>> might be too "specialized" (meaning: I'm sure there must be at least one
>> application on the market that uses progressbars backwards. From 100 to
>> 0) ...
>> What do you think ?
>>
> It sounds like a good idea. The worse which can happen with he
> application going from 100 to 0 is a progress bar which is not animated.
> Nothing wrong with that.

but then when this hypothetical reverse application "reset" from 0 to
100, you would get animated.
Anyway, yes I think this would still be a better solution than what we
have now.
Will implement after waiting a while for further objections.