The shared-desktop-ontologies mess

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Dec 1 21:01:22 GMT 2009

On 01.12.09 21:04:45, Ingmar Vanhassel wrote:
> Excerpts from Andreas Pakulat's message of Tue Dec 01 20:54:01 +0100 2009:
> > On 01.12.09 20:23:23, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > kdebase here still doesn't build for me without SDO.
> > > We have the following in kdelibs/CMakeLists.txt:
> > >
> > > set(SOPRANO_MIN_VERSION "2.3.70")
> > > find_package(Soprano  REQUIRED COMPONENTS
> > >                       PLUGIN_RAPTORPARSER PLUGIN_REDLANDBACKEND)
> > > macro_log_feature(SOPRANO_FOUND "Soprano" ... FALSE ... )
> > > macro_log_feature(SOPRANO_PLUGIN_RAPTORPARSER_FOUND ... FALSE ...)
> > > macro_log_feature(SOPRANO_PLUGIN_REDLANDBACKEND_FOUND ... FALSE ...)
> > >
> > > macro_optional_find_package(SharedDesktopOntologies)
> > > macro_log_feature(SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_FOUND ... FALSE ...)

> > > if(Soprano_FOUND AND SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_FOUND)
> > >   set(HAVE_NEPOMUK true)
> > >   add_subdirectory(nepomuk)
> > > endif(Soprano_FOUND AND SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_FOUND)
> > >

> > > Which means that soprano and SDO are considered optional in kdelibs and
> > > nepomuk is only built of both are present.
> > > But then in kdepim the installed nepomuk files are used, which then fails:
> > > http://my.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=39649
> > >
> > > So, am I right that both soprano and DSO should be marked as hard dependencies
> > > for kdelibs ?
> > > Otherwise everything which wants to use nepomuk from kdelibs needs to check
> > > whether the installed kdelibs has nepomuk actually.
> > >
> > > So, ok, with making it required ?
> >
> > Actually no - IMHO. Nepomuk is still marked optional in kdepim in most
> > parts, so kdepim needs to adjust their buildsystem to really make it
> > optional. Then they can propose making nepomuk and SDO a requirement for
> > KDE 4.5. Its far to late in the cycle to change dependencies every other
> > day.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Making nepomuk a hard dependency was discussed here
> http://mid.gmane.org/200910171219.58832.peter.penz@gmx.at
>
> I don't see all that much opposition there?

And I don't see any: "Nepomuk is a hard dep from KDE 4.4 Beta1 forward"
announced anywhere. Such changes need to be taken care of _before_
starting to write code that depends on it. And kdepim still has lots of
if(NEPOMUK_FOUND) in their cmake code, so they clearly didn't plan for
it to be a hard dependency for 4.4. Hence they should fix up their
buildsystem to not depend on it.

Andreas

--
Don't relax!  It's only your tension that's holding you together.