Bugreporting barrier is too low with the new Dr. Konqi

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:34:56 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 23:07, Matt Rogers wrote:
> If there are concrete improvements that you would like made, please suggest
> them by filing a wishlist against b.k.o itself (it has its own product in
> bugzilla) so that I at least know what you want. Others have done this, and
> while I tend to be rather slow sometimes, I do care about getting any
> improvements made that are beneficial to others.

I was wondering if it would be possible to show a  component specific
message sometime during the report workflow.

In KPat there a couple of easy things the reporter can do to greatly
increase the chance of their bug being addressed. One is to mention
which of the 12 different game types the issue occurred in. About one
in three reporters forgets this rather crucial information. The other
is to attach a saved game that demonstrates the problem. People often
attach screenshots showing a problem with the solver, but we
developers can't load up a screenshot to recreate the issue. Omitting
these things often leads to at least one step of back and forth to
(hopefully) get the information we need. Getting the game type is
easy, but getting them to reproduce the issue to make a saved game
after they've closed KPat can be tricky.

Neither of these is a big deal and I'm sure reporters would gladly do
them, if only they new they should. I'm guessing that other components
have similar instructions they'd like to share. Integration with Dr.
Konqui would also be handy. Maybe if KDevelop was getting dozens of
duplicate reports, they could temporarily add a line to their
instructions asking people not to report that particular issue.

Parker