KDE Trunk based on Qt 4.6

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Sun Aug 30 20:19:48 BST 2009

On Aug 30, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> A Diumenge, 30 d'agost de 2009, Benjamin Meyer va escriure:

>>> No. Browsing KDE/Qt sources in the editor. Find a bug. Correct that.
>>> Hit save.
>>> Want to commit.
>>>
>>> For KDE sources I have to:
>>>
>>> 0. "svn up/diff" to be sure
>>> 1. "svn commit" with BUG: number
>>> 2. "svnbackport" if I want it in stable branch
>>
>> And then I revert your commit because it broke something that would
>> have been caught if you had bother to ask for a review from the guy
>> who maintains the code.
>
> That's both rude and off topic.
>
> Albert

It is very much on topic.  The major difference between the two
methods is that the qt patch requires a review and a Qt dev does the
commit.  Who commits a patch isn't that important, but leaving out the
review step is a big deal.  I have seen many bad commits in kde that
were pushed in by developers who were not the maintainers of the code
they were modifying.  I myself even did it.  Just because you can push
in a patch to nearly all of kde's svn without a code review doesn't
mean you should.  This is a lesson that kde has learned many times
over.  Between, irc, email, paste websites, and the new review website
there is little reason to not do some sort of review these days.

-Benjamin Meyer