situation with window decorations

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Thu Aug 27 21:52:04 BST 2009

A Quinta, 27 de Agosto de 2009 19:54:08 Frank Karlitschek você escreveu:
> On 27.08.2009, at 20:06, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 August 2009, Lucas Murray wrote:
> >> Oxygen = The way the designers want the decoration (Pixel perfect
> >> and not
> >> ugly!) Nitrogen = The way the users want the decoration (User
> >> customisable
> >> and better usability!)
> >
> > let's be thorough instead of glib. here are two sets of issues here:
> > defaults
> > and options.
> >
> > for defaults, it can be refined further:
> >
> > * appearance
> > * usability
> >
> > nitrogen still left justifies the title bar text by default, but it
> > turns off
> > the stripes. this all seems a bit random from the appearance POV.
> >
> > usability wise, i think it's a wash between the two still. neither is
> > remarkably better than the other.
> >
> > for options:
> >
> > oxygen's options are minimal and also poorly laid out in the
> > configuration
> > panel.
> >
> > nitrogen is a rather random slap-dash arrangement of things. wtf
> > does "KDE
> > 4.2" mean for "Button Style"? this is what makes me most nervous about
> > nitrogen: yes, it is trying to improve on oxygen, but it's doing it
> > like we're
> > back in KDE 3.1 and the name of the game is "lots of features and
> > don't worry
> > about the results!".
> >
> > if nitrogen wishes to win support, i'd suggest a few things:
> >
> > * don't dump it into kdebase until it's ready. that's what we have
> > playground
> > for.
> >
> > * pay attention to the configuration options and take care with what
> > options
> > are put where and how. e.g. if the options for Buttons is "KDE 4.2 "
> > and
> > "Default", then there really doesn't need to be an option. the
> > wording of the
> > rest of the options also should be looked at; it's far too geeky.
> >
> > * consider if things like a "drag handle" are needed or if that's
> > just there
> > to satisfy someone's personal itch; or how about those stripes: do
> > we _really_
> > need them at this point or can Oxygen keep them for those who like
> > them and we
> > can be done with them in Nitrogen?
>
> Yes. I personally don´t like the stripes. Just visual clutter.
> Lets go with Albert Einstein: "Make everything as simple as possible,
> but not simpler."
> The stripes are not needed at least not with compositing enabled. So
> let´s remove them.

The story about the stripes, well it was one of the ideas i had to try to make
some people happy and maybe give up on ozone, the stripes are colorable and
give a visual hint to the active window... the next step we took was to make
the active glow, that in non acel systems even paints the outside pixels of
the windeco, still this was not enough to remove ozone.

Personally i think we will remove those option out of oxygen since they did
not produced the expected results and in the case of the non acel version just
looks bad (the options are the stripes and the active pixels around the
windeco in non acel)

--
Oxygen coordinator