situation with window decorations

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Thu Aug 27 16:34:56 BST 2009

Hi,

recently the window decoration Nitrogen was imported into kdebase
which I like a lot by the way because I can configure it nicely.

So currently we have:

- Oxygen - the original window decoration
- Ozone - the same as Oxygen with more configuration options
- Nitrogen - the same as Ozone with even more configuration options.

All the decorations look the same and only differ in configuration
options.

I understand the reasons and why some developers forked the stuff from
others and decided to work on a decoration independently.
But from a user point of is is silly and out of control.

We need one decoration with all the important configuration options
and not 3 who are basically the same.

So what are the options?

1.) Backport all the new stuff from Nitrogen to Oxygen and remove
Ozone and Nitrogen from kdebase
2.) Remove Oxygen and Ozone and rename Nitrogen to Oxygen.
3.) Remove Oxygen and Ozone and keep the name Nitrogen.
4.) someting else

What do you think?

Cheers
Frank