Status of kcontrol/randr

Aike J Sommer dev at aikesommer.name
Thu Aug 20 08:37:41 BST 2009

Hi :-)

> > could somebody tell me the status and plans for kcontrol/randr? I
> > thought it
> > was going to be replaced/adapted for Kephal, but that doesn't seem
> > to be the
> > case.
>
> That's the case in fact. krandrtray (and its respective kcontrol
> module) is intended to be replaced by kephal.

Yes!! I always wanted to get to that... But i have had basically no time at
all... Tried to fix a bug here or there, but thats it!! :-(

> > Therefore, unless there are different plans, I would like to switch
> > trunk's
> > kcontrol/randr to branches/work/~seli/randr43, which is my changes
> > applied to
> > current codebase. There are few things missing (noted in the BRANCH
> > file),
> > but I think it mostly works better than current trunk version. The
> > differences include:
> >
> > - it can set up multiple monitors (e.g. 2nd to the right of the 1st
> > one),
> > current trunk has this even disabled completely
> > - the preview widget shows the future status after applying changes,
> > not the
> > current status (which I see pointless, there's it's enough to just
> > look at
> > the real monitors)
> > - there's no loading of any settings at startup (again, IMO
> > pointless, I want
> > to change the current status, not some random saved stuff)
> > - there is a kded module monitor watching for Key_Display (Fn+F7 or
> > whatever,
> > needs Qt patching) and switching outputs as a result, and also
> > watching for
> > monitor (un)plugging and offering to do changes as a result (there
> > xrandr
> > sucks and can't actually detect this well). I think Kephal currently
> > is
> > supposed to do this, but I don't know the status.
>
> I would say go for it. I can't really work on it right now (I thought
> I was going to have some free time, but it ended up that I've gotten
> other things to work on).

Yes... I agree... Kephal currently doesnt "touch" setups, it just reads from
xrandr basically (though it could do more if instructed by a frontend)
Out of curiosity: how do you detect (un)-plugging??

> Kephal's xrandr backend is based on krandrtray classes, so maybe some
> of your fixes are also suitable for kephal.
> This Key_Display thing could be added to the kephal backend probably.
>
> Other than that, I can't really spend much time on it, but if you
> happen to need some help, just ping me.

I'm also around if there's anything i can do...
:-)

--
Aike J Sommer
http://aikesommer.name/