Review Request: Add global option to turn off "natural sorting" of user visible strings.

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 18 17:03:14 BST 2009

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> EW5YP
>> 5GH67I
>> 62DH13
>> 6IF732
>> 6KW84W
>> 74UZGI
>> 7FDM86
>> 8CFUQR
>> U4H3WM
>> 10AH2MF
>
> What's natural about the sorting above?

It's correct numeric order assuming base-36.

> Sorry, but there's just no way we can detect the sorting order that the
> user wanted if it's not decimal numeric and alphabetical.

Yes, I am increasingly convinced that a perfect heuristic, in the
absence of additional user-provided information - is not possible. Which
is why I think a .directory option is the best possible solution for now.

> I would consider myself a power user and I've never had any files with
> hexadecimal numbering in them.

Technically, I haven't either. The block I have to deal with is base-36
(and yes, I manage those dirs myself).

--
Matthew
Cannot read .sig now