Status of kcontrol/randr

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Aug 17 20:16:25 BST 2009

 Hello,

 could somebody tell me the status and plans for kcontrol/randr? I thought it
was going to be replaced/adapted for Kephal, but that doesn't seem to be the
case.

 I'm asking because for openSUSE11.1 I had to get GUI support for xrandr1.2
and since 4.2 with Kephal was too late for that, I branched from 4.1 and
handled it in whatever way I saw fit, because I thought it was temporary
anyway. However now even in 4.3 kcontrol/randr is more or less the same code
and also the same problems, most notably the inability to do anything with
multiple monitors.

 Therefore, unless there are different plans, I would like to switch trunk's
kcontrol/randr to branches/work/~seli/randr43, which is my changes applied to
current codebase. There are few things missing (noted in the BRANCH file),
but I think it mostly works better than current trunk version. The
differences include:

- it can set up multiple monitors (e.g. 2nd to the right of the 1st one),
current trunk has this even disabled completely
- the preview widget shows the future status after applying changes, not the
current status (which I see pointless, there's it's enough to just look at
the real monitors)
- there's no loading of any settings at startup (again, IMO pointless, I want
to change the current status, not some random saved stuff)
- there is a kded module monitor watching for Key_Display (Fn+F7 or whatever,
needs Qt patching) and switching outputs as a result, and also watching for
monitor (un)plugging and offering to do changes as a result (there xrandr
sucks and can't actually detect this well). I think Kephal currently is
supposed to do this, but I don't know the status.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz