device-automounter moved to kdereview

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 07:46:11 BST 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 08:29:09 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Kevin Ottens<ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> > For all the other users out there, the "mount on demand" as it is
> > implemented right now is enough. Anywhere you could access a device from
> > the UI we mount as soon as the user tries to make a first access attempt.
> > It's not like they need to know what mounting is...
>
> You know this falls flat on it's face with session restore? I get
> plenty of 'folder not accessible' messages every time I log in...

Different use case, and this one I'd have less problem to see it covered by
default (although it can break horribly as well for the same reasons that I
stated before). Note that it's not what it's about right now as the proposed
piece of software doesn't cover it.

> Maybe see what the usability ppl have to say about auto mounting or
> not. I see how ppl who aren't very knowledgeable might need
> automounting by default, and I see how it could hurt them...

Nothing to do with usability, it's about a bad trade off. Here it's about some
convenience for a few knowledgeable people which will in turn create harder to
debug problems because we can't implement the feature properly in the first
place (the underlying platform being lacking here).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."