RFC: A Qt-only library in kdesupport

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Aug 13 08:48:01 BST 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 00:01:50 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> A new library could have the same licencing and binary compatibility
> requirements as kdelibs, and carry the label as being "from the KDE
> community". We could even put it in gitorious as a relatively small scale
> learning opportunity for that tool.
>
> Thoughts, Comments?

Well for individual libraries inside of kdelibs I think this concern is mainly
a question of perception on the outside. For instance libsolid is linking only
on Qt, it doesn't depend on anything in kdelibs itself... But I doubt it's
really known out there.

Now, your case it probably trickier as you're talking about classes which end
up in kdeui, and libkdeui links with libkdecore, so that's indeed harder to
make it look like and independent library.

IIRC in the early times of the KDE4 discussions someone (was it danimo? got
published on his blog for sure) came up with the idea to split libs in Libs-
Framework and Libs-Components, which would contain the classes which are self
containing and Qt only.

This never actually get implemented, maybe it's time to revive this idea?
Maybe making it slightly more general to also host libs with more constraints
than the kdelibs ones (like the one I force upon libsolid).

This way we can point to a module where you can use "off the shelf" libraries
or classes in a "pure Qt" project, they should be self contained and depend on
Qt only.

Was my 0.02€.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."