Require Soprano for kdelibs

koos vriezen koos.vriezen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 19:53:30 BST 2009

2009/8/6 Josef Spillner <spillner at kde.org>:

> this issue is similar to the one we've discussed on IRC the other day. There
> are two stakeholders here: The ones who view it more from the policy side,
> i.e. whether or not we should mandate the use of features, and the ones who
> view it from the dependency or mechanism side, i.e. how modular should KDE
> libraries be.

Is that really exclusive? Sounds to me this problem has lots of ways
to workaround (think of dbus services, loadable modules and/or
external helpers).
The issue with only souce code defines is that, at least my distro,
tends to enable everything (for good reasons of course, all feature
are cool if you need them)

> If there are too many entry points and ways to use the library, then somebody
> should probably rethink its API :)

Right so. And maybe rethinking of what level the features offered
should be. What we see on Android/IPhone or eg. with the Eclipse
framework, is at a more higher level than what KDE has to offer to the
applications. The exceptions are kparts, but it's missing some sort of
type library and seem to have stuck in viewers for certain mimetypes.

Koos