Require Soprano for kdelibs

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Thu Aug 6 11:50:42 BST 2009

On 2009-08-06, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> --nextPart1846167.YcnjnuxToF
>
> On Thursday 06 August 2009, Volker Krause wrote:
>> However, experience with that in KDE PIM (eg. cyrus-sasl for various mail
>> server authentication methods, to name just one example) shows that this
>> can cause considerable support load since not everyone pays attention to
>> the CMake output regarding the effects of missing dependencies. If I can't
>> even rely on distros doing that correctly (most of them do fortunately), =
> my
>> only option to ensure that the majority of our users get a fully working
>> application is to enforce the dependencies unfortunately :-/
>
> and in the case of things like plasma-desktop/plasma-netbook and where the=
>=20
> feature sets are going there, there will soon be code in libplasma that all=
> ows=20
> those UI shells to coordinate context with the rest of the system via nepom=
> uk.

I really think that all these things aronud nepomuk sounds really cool,
and nepomuk is one of the coolest features of kde4.

But effectively for very many users it is still completely unusable.

Too many distributions does not ship the soprano/sesame backend, which
effectively renders nepomuk unusable for all its cool things.

A solution somehow needs to be found before nepomuk gets too much
required from users. And I'm not sure the good solution is to force
distributions to package sesame.

There is many reasons for this, but most of it ends up in the two
things:
 - the common set of "java interested people" and "kde interested
   people" among distribution people is (very close to) the empty set.
 - java is for many reasons a pain to package as there is effectively no
   api/abi stability and a lot of embedded precompiled libraries and a
   lot of embedded code copies.

Basically, try to build the sesame jar from sources (of course without
downloading random java libraies from the internet - and each of these
libraries should also be packaged)

By looking at the amount of libraries downloaded during build, I would
expect at least 2-4 weeks of more than full time work packaging this.
And it would probably quite quickly be boring and repetitive.

/Sune