RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Apr 28 22:43:51 BST 2009

On 2009-04-27, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 April 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> the new new plan is this:
>>
>> svn location: extragear/libs/knotificationitem
>> headers: $INCLUDE_PATH/knotificationaitem-1/
>> lib name: $LIB_PATH/libknotificationitem-1.so
>> namespace: Experimental::
>>
>> release of tarball done prior to kde 4.3.
>>
>> will most likely be removed post-4.3 and rolled into kdelibs. if not,
>> changes will results in a s,-1,-2,g to the above and another release.
>>
>> objections?
>>

> sooo,
> to recap after this discussion we gone with extragear as the least painful
> option, the thing is at http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/libs/

I've wondered, why is it you want to port every single application to
use it *now* instead of testing that everything is as you want it to be,
including the abi and api, with a targetted set of applications, maybe
limited to a module or two ?

That way, breakage will be smaller and less things to handle for people
for kde4.4.

And have you thought of versioninng the symbols in it ?

/Sune