RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Apr 24 11:10:22 BST 2009

Em Sexta-feira 24 Abril 2009, às 11:01:23, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau escreveu:
> I really wonder if _extra_gear/libs is the right location.
>
> These libs will be hard dependecies for some programs in the normal kde
> modules, right? So I have to build them between kdelibs/kdepimlibs and the
> other modules:
>         qt-copy->kdesupport->kdelibs->kdepimlibs->$FRESHLIBS->kdebase & Co.
> And between major release the API will change, so I would have to update
> them on mondays if compiling one of the dependent programs/modules.
>
> So could we instead create a new module
>         trunk/KDE/kdenewlibs (or similar).
> Such a name and the location would better reflect what the content is
> about.

I don't like that.

Such a name would give the idea of a new KDE module called "kdenewlibs" which
would be released along with KDE. So we'd have a kdenewlibs-4.3.0.tar.gz
package.

We don't want that.

We want to have knotificationitem-0.1.tar.gz. The place for individual packages
is extragear.

  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358