RFC: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library .. where?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Apr 23 19:44:20 BST 2009

On Thursday, 2009-04-23, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 23 April 2009, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> > Please don't put anything in kdelibs that doesn't have a stable ABI.
>
> so then there's no way to trial new technology without committing to BC and
> SC for the next N years (where N is probably >5)? that's insane.

That's not what he is writing.
He wrote "in kdelibs", probably including by implication kdepimlibs, meaning
our official application development platform.

We at KDE PIM often have code that we are not sufficiently sure of yet to put
it into kdepimlibs. So we just use it internally and never install any header.

We could put it into all modules' private libs, e.g. as SVN external, or just
see is as a third party library which can be detected at build time.

In which case you can just put it into extragear or a even new module.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring