RFC: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library .. where?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 23 19:20:21 BST 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 4:21:51 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi all ..
> >
> > i'd like to move libknotificationareaitem somewhere that apps can get to
> > it for 4.3, before looking at moving the actual class into libkdeui for
> > 4.4.
> >
> > is there any guidance on where it could go, how it should be installed,
> > etc? right now i'm thinking of putting the headers in knotificationarea/,
> > but half of me wonders if a generic private/ or experimental/ include dir
> > wouldn't be a bad idea ...
> >
> > any thoughts?
>
> We really don't have a policy on something like this.. to my knowledge.
> But we could make one.
>
> We could create a libkdeuiexperimental, or some-such. ie.
> prominently display "experimental" in the library name and in the header
> install dir.
>
> phonon does something like this, there is a libphononexperimental
> and include/phonon/experimental.

so:

namespace: Experimental:: (KDE::Experimental? or is that just more than we
need ... a little concerned that we might intrude on someone else's namespace
of the same name)

lib name: libkdeuexperimental.so

source location: kdelibs/kdeui/experimental/

header install location: $PREFIX/include/experimental

if there are no objections or improvements to the above between now and Sunday
the 26th, we'll go ahead and do this on Monday

(along with tweaking the name KNotificationAreaItem to just KNotificationItem,
again, if nobody comes up with a better proposal)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se