KNotificationAreaItem

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Mon Apr 20 23:08:57 BST 2009

On Monday 20 April 2009 22:48:18 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Monday 20 April 2009 schrieb Olivier Goffart:
> > Doesnn't the fact that this service is required show a flaw in dbus
> > itself. Is there a way to ask dbus all the running client that provides a
> > given interface?
>
> qt:qdbusconnectioninterface
>
> the problem is that obviously the services are per bus exclusive (i.e.
> there cannot be two plasma services on the session bus, one carrying KDE's
> plasma and the other one the controls for your fusion reactor)

Of course, your fusion reactor is unlikely to claim the org.kde.plamsa service
name or implement an interface org.kde.plasma, but leaving this aside...

There doesn't appear to be a way (with Qt's D-Bus module) to ask for "all the
services that implement the org.kde.NotificationAreaItem interface".  You can,
however, ask for all the services with a particular name, and you can
reasonably efficiently keep track of the appearance and disappearance of the
services whose names follow a particular pattern (the MPRIS spec uses this -
all players implementing the MPRIS interface must do so at org.mpris.foo,
where foo is some name unique to the player instance).

Alex

--
Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
  -- Terry Pratchett