DrKonqi 2 moved to kdereview

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:16:54 BST 2009

Hello everyone,

As you may (or may not) already know, Darío Andrés and I have been working on
an improved version of the KDE crash handler, drkonqi, in the past few months.
We consider it ready now, so I just moved it to kdereview to get through the
review process. This is almost a complete rewrite of drkonqi, so we figured it
was more appropriate to go to kdereview before moving back to trunk. You can
find it at trunk/kdereview/drkonqi2.

Some notable features of drkonqi 2.0:
* It features a wizard that guides the user through the crash report.
* It rates the backtrace and advises the user to install debugging symbols if
required and doesn't allow him to report useless backtraces.
* It automatically searches for duplicates when the user is about to report
the crash.
* It allows you to recreate a backtrace, in case you don't have the correct
debugging symbols packages installed and you want to install them and retry.
* and more...

It also contains bug fixes for bugs: 112384, 142955, 164389, 175362, 180387,
180399.

Some notes:
* To test it easily, there is a crash test available in
trunk/kdereview/drkonqi2/tests/crashtest/. After running cmake on drkonqi's
dir, you can use "make crashtest" to build it. The executable will be in
$build_dir/tests/crashtest/crashtest. This executable crashes instantly, so
you get drkonqi up and running :) Alternatively, you can use an easily
reproducable crash, like bug 169826, which Darío has been using quite
frequently to test bug reporting. ;)

* Currently, crash reports go to http://bugstest.kde.org, so you can commit
dummy crash reports without cluttering the real BKO and without actually
sending emails to anybody. If you want to try reporting a real crash at
bugs.kde.org, you can change the url constant in bugzillalib.cpp, line 36. Of
course, reporting to the real BKO has been tested and works (see bug 189635).

* To enable the "debug" button, which allows you to debug using gdb, you need
to set "ShowDebugButton=true" in drkonqirc, in section "[drkonqi]". Note that
the old "developer mode" setting is deprecated, but its config key is still
honored for compatibility and simply enables the debug button.

We are looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Regards,
George

PS: Special thanks to the konqueror developers for NOT fixing bug 169826 :P