Shortcut Scheme support

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 28 21:15:11 BST 2008

On Sunday 28 September 2008, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > > But we talk about many applications here. I would say all.
> >
> > I'd say its not all, in particular KDevelop, kwrite and kate do not
> > suffer from this. And I think (not 100% sure though) kpat, ksudoku
> > and lskat also not.
> >
> > > It's the difference
> > > between worked - - not correct, but no one noticed - against does
> > > not work anymore and nothing was changed on their side. It's a
> > > gross behavioural change and as such not acceptable if you ask
> > > me. It worked. It should keep doing that.
> >
> > Now I'm confused. I thought it never worked reliably, at least
> > thats what
>
> The code should set the default shortcut. But using
> QAction::setShortcut you set the active shortcut. The code works as
> in the action can be triggered with the shortcut. It fails in
> providing a default shortcut. If the user ever changes the shortcut
> he cannot reset it with the global shortcutseditor to the default
> value. It could be even weirder in that it is possible to get it back
> after an application restart. I don't care enough to test that.

KDE applications written for KDE 4.0 or 4.1 are supposed to work with
all versions of KDE. Breaking this contract by such a major behavioral
change is IMO a no-go. I mean it's not as if the change fixes a major
bug. AFAIU, if anything then it fixes a minor weirdness. So I suggest
to note it down for KDE 5 and revert it for KDE 4 unless you can come
up with a clever workaround for all the third party KDE applications we
do not even know about.

Regards,
Ingo