Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 10:15:01 BST 2008

It seems that the how to release/technical and social impacts on a new code
development model discussion will take some time and much more time to
actually implemented. Also Thiago made a good point with Qt/KDE sync and
also we have the general disgust to make kde 4.2 shorter.

I think that Thiago already proposed mid February (maybe late February is
safer) for 4.2 release. And that proposal hadn't much attention. Some
benefits:
- Sync with Qt
- Big chances to still be in sync with distros releasing in April
- Not shorter than the original, not much longer either

Problem:
- We couldn't keep our promise about 6months releases.

I also propose use this months till 4.2 release to make concrete decisions
and plan for the new development infrastructure. I guess even some work can
start being done if someone volunteers. And as soon as 4.2 is released focus
on switching to the new infrastructure. I guess that 4.2.1 will suffer a bit
with that but ...
Akademi can be used to solve problems with the usage, polish the
infrastructure and further discuss the new release method.

Benefits:
- We decide the schedule of 4.2 in this thread (which is pretty important
and urgent)
- Leave room for discussion and development of infrastructure
- Start with the new infrastructure earlier rather than later

Problems:
- Maybe too rush of a plan

--
Jordi Polo Carres