Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Sep 10 07:53:38 BST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>how does it work, in reality, right now?

Ok, this is about how Qt development has happened for the past few years,
using Perforce. This is before Git, this is no longer the scheme we are
using right *now* (we're in state of flux).

First of all, Perforce is better than SVN at merge-tracking. What SVN
delivered only in 1.5, Perforce has had for years and it has allowed this
process to work. But, unlike SVN and Git, Perforce doesn't allow you
to "switch between branches". You have to have two checkouts: one per
branch.

It starts with qt/main (a branch). At one point in time, the release
manager will declare feature freeze and branch. It's the same thing and
happens at the same time.

At that time, we have qt/main and qt/4.x (qt/4.0, qt/4.1, qt/4.2, qt/4.3,
qt/4.4; there'll be no qt/4.5). All developers change their p4 client
specifications and check out the new branch.

One branch is frozen, the other is not. However, developers are instructed
to start working on stabilisation.

Tasks are fixed in the qt/4.x branch, committed and then the developer
runs a simple script called "p4i" that cherry-picks the change into
qt/main. That way, everything that happens in qt/4.x is also present in
qt/main.

At another point in time, we reach release time: qt/4.x.y is branched off
qt/4.x. That branch is off-limits to all developers: only the release
manager commits there. We have several rounds of testing (called Black
Team), where our developers try to break Qt and find all issues to the
baseline quality. Until we're convinced we've met the quality
requirements, we stay in this cycle: build packages, test, report issues,
fix them, Release Manager integrates them into the release branch.

The qt/4.x.y cycle is repeated a few times, usually on a time-triggered
process, for each patch-level release.

In the meantime, qt/4.x is still there, but turns into post-release
status.

For the next months, attention progressively shifts from qt/4.x to
qt/main. Small and medium-sized features are developed in qt/main, that's
also where non-severe bug fixes go (the qt/4.x branch's policy allows
fixing only of crashes, regressions, data loss, bad behaviour, nasty
stuff).

Large-sized features are developed in branches. They are merged into
qt/main before the next feature freeze.

The problems with this model are:
 * features are all merged in the two/three weeks leading to the feature
freeze
 * the automated test system does not check the feature branches, so their
merging is very destabilising
 * in any case, since everyone is using and testing qt/4.x, qt/main is
allowed to drift and test regressions creep in

The new model is meant to fix those problems.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358