Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Sep 10 10:07:41 BST 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 03:57:15 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> going back to what you said about communication: unless we communicate
> *clearly* how things work, this will fail no matter how clever it is.
> personally, i'd set the "clearly" metric as:
>
> * no more than 3 normal length paragraphs of text
> * 3-6 explanatory images/graphs (the ones in the dot story were a good
>   start)
> * clear enough that one read through is enough

Obviously, I'm willing to help with this. I'd propose to draft something like
this (I feel we're getting a very good idea and even consensus here what we
want, and are getting closer to finding a way how we could design that so it's
an improvement over our current processes). This drafting will happen on the
release-team mailinglist, so we'll end up with a proposal that's both clear
and concrete by the release-team based on this (fruitful and important)
discussion. Hopefully, the proposal is good enough so that enough people will
help with getting in a really good shape it implemented it. The proposal
should go along with a plan-de-campagne and a timeline (we basically have
windows between releases where such structural changes can be done, so we need
some sort of planning and cannot just switch at the moment it's ready).

> we may have a different set of information for new / casual devleopers
> ("just use Autumn") versus regularly commiting application developers
> versus project maintainers ...
>
> i think it can be done. i couldn't personally write those three paragraphs
> yet, though. maybe after another 10lbs of email and more reading about how
> other projects with centralized repositories that usie a distributed SCM
> handle it .....
>
> but if we can't write those 3 short paragraphs + a handful of
> illustrations, we won't be able to make this fly, imho.

Augmenting the above 3-paragraph-description, we also need documentation how
to deal with the development process and tools. Some starting points I have in
mind are:

- how does a certain team work (as opposed to KDE's overall dev model)
- best practise guide for stabilisation and feature development
- workflow tips for code review processes
- cheat sheets for git + kde (or whatever VCS we end up using)
- how you can do team-based development

A new development model will likely allow for more flexibility, so extra
clarity of what is a good practise will be needed. I can chip in here as well.

> > That's why I really would like to maintain some release rhythm for the
> > overall development.
>
> yes, that would need to be part of the new system as well .. it just
> wouldn't be enforced using technical limitations but social coordination
> (the FOSS version of project management? =)

Indeed. I think we're even in a rather good situation for this. The KDE
community has quite strong social ties (even more so within subprojects like
edu, games, plasma, ...) so I'm pretty confident that with enough clarity (for
example better communication by the release team ;)), we can make great leaps
here.
--
sebas