Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Marijn Kruisselbrink m.kruisselbrink at student.tue.nl
Wed Sep 10 03:11:15 BST 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 03:57:15 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > Yes. git makes handling multiple branches much more easy than svn. Of
> > course it is also possible to do this in svn, but it requires more work.
>
> in our (plasma team's) experience it's not possible enough to be practical.
> it's just too difficult to switch between branches, merge into trunk, pick
> specific revisions from branches, temporarily try branches with each other,
> ... it's livable if there is only one branch per set of files (multiple
> branches on the same set of files == pain, pain, pain), the branches are
> relatively short lived (over a month and it's painful) and the branch
> deltas remain reasonable.
I guess your/plasma's experience is with svn 1.4, as that is what is currently
used by kde. Svn 1.5 however has significantly improved branching/merge
tracking/cherry picking, so saying svn isn't an option is perhaps not really
correct. The current svn might not be an option, but the latest (and future)
svn versions might be a whole lot better in this regard.

Marijn