Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 9 23:46:48 BST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think this is an accurate statement. Our development model is
> > > well developed and has scaled tremendously well. Alone the fact that we
> > > are still able to do releases of our millions of lines of code shows
> > > that. With extragear and all the third-party apps which are maintained
> > > outside of KDE we have a model which allows for a huge amount of
> > > diversity.
> >
> > I very much share Cornelius' concerns.
>
> Me, too, as I already wrote in a reply to the dot story that was a preview
> for this discussion. I think that not only a lot of cohesion will be lost

where will the cohesion be lost? or rather, what do you attribute the current
cohesion to? some seem to think it's mostly social and coordination based,
others think its mostly rule based, others think its technical constraints
.... i'm interested in understanding more about the different value people put
on the different aspects of the model we currently have.

> and that people will be spending a lot of time merging instead of coding,

maybe i'm just strange (ok, we already know i am ;), but i already spend time
merging code from branches (playground is a big one for us) and patches
(bugs.kde.org, random people popping up on the list with a patch, etc). this
is not a bad thing, it's part of a process that increases the reliability of
the code base. not everyone needs to be coding constantly; there are both
social and technical benefits to having some people who code but also spend
some time merging too.

> we'll see a return to the merge-at-the-last
> moment, where integration of all new code is postponed to when the release
> is supposed to be made.

return to? that's what i see happen now. merge-at-the-last-moment is actually
the *opposite* effect "always Summer" should have. it's actually the reverse
problem (never merge, always fork) that's the bigger risk.

(always interesting how different people have such different personal
interpretation of a shared experience, isn't it? =)

what this does tell me is that if we adopted the "always Summer" approach that
those who are leading the transition would need to provide some rather clear
notes on:

* how to keep developing like you always have if you don't need change (aka
"it works perfect for me already")

* how to take advantage of benefits without screwing yourself in the process
(e.g. never releasing, last minute merging, etc)

* how NOT to take advantage of the system

note that this is no different than what we have now; people just understand
what we have now pretty well.

this is probably responsible for a large amount of the benefit that Cornelius
talks about with our current system that's evolved over time, and can be a
disruptive cost if we switch and don't provide effective documentation.
"effective" in this case means short, accurate and recipe based.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se