Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Sep 9 14:29:12 BST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2008 14:32:19 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 September 2008 12:39:07 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > We have become too diverse for the current, rather limited development
> > > model and tools.
> >
> > I don't think this is an accurate statement. Our development model is well
> > developed and has scaled tremendously well. Alone the fact that we are
> > still able to do releases of our millions of lines of code shows that. With
> > extragear and all the third-party apps which are maintained outside of KDE
> > we have a model which allows for a huge amount of diversity.
>
> I very much share Cornelius' concerns.

Me, too, as I already wrote in a reply to the dot story that was a preview for this
discussion. I think that not only a lot of cohesion will be lost and that people will
be spending a lot of time merging instead of coding, but also that in practice, we'll
see a return to the merge-at-the-last moment, where integration of all new code is
postponed to when the release is supposed to be made.

Boudewijn