Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Tue Sep 9 11:53:52 BST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> We have become too diverse for the current, rather limited development model
> and tools. We need a more flexible model and better tools to make KDE's
> development scalable and suitable for everyone involved.

I agree with the points made about more flexible development model. I
really sympathize with the concept of an always unstable trunk and
specialized branches. But in practise I'm not sure we have the resources
to cope with that. Unlike a company we cannot assign fixed people to take
care of integrations and maintain each version. The acitivity on KDE's
maintenance branches is already low traditionally. Each branch added, each
focus being diverted again diminuishes the resources we have.

So I think what Sebastian said is all well from a theoretically point of
view but I have my doubts that our project - mostly carried by volunteers
working in their spare time - has enough resources. Unfortunately,
evelopers don't scale equally well as the development model can
potentially offer.

Harri.