Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at
Sun Sep 7 11:50:48 BST 2008

On Sunday 07 September 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> Hi,
> Next Akademy is early July 2009. The release-team decided it would be good
> idea to have the 4.3 release done before Akademy starts, so we have all the
> room to hack on anything we want during Akademy,
> That means that we want to release 4.2 two weeks earlier and 4.3 too, so we
> end up with 4.3 a month earlier without giving in too much to our six month
> schedule.
> Techbase is now updated with the changed schedule for 4.2[1] and the new
> 4.3 schedule[2].
> Next important deadline: September 29th, 2008: Soft Feature Freeze

This "three week earlier" without any warning is quite "inconvenient".

We at KDEPIM/Akonadi carefully planned a developer sprint before the hard 
freeze/message freeze/beta tagging to finish any parts necessary for enabling 
a transparent migration of calendar and contact data or deciding to not 
enable it depending on our progress.

So now our meeting (2008-10-31 - 2008-11-02) is past all three important 

Assuming we could get an exception for the freezes [1] we would still be left 
with the choice of skipping one beta or have it include unfinished work.

Why does it have to be three weeks (IIRC the orgininal date for hard freeze 
was around Nov 16th) if the reasoning is to release two weeks earlier?

Two weeks would still be very close but at least not as bad.


[1] IMHO it is quite questionable whether a schedule makes sense if one needs 
an exception for a whole core module.

Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
KDE user support, developer mentoring
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: <>

More information about the kde-core-devel mailing list