KCalendarSystemChinese - calendar for Chinese in KDE 4

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Oct 30 16:16:24 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 7:44:15 pm John Layt wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 October 2008 13:28:05 Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 December 2007 8:01:29 am Liang Qi wrote:
> > > Hi, all,
> > >
> > > There is no code for Chinese calendar, which is mostly used by people
> > > in or from East Asia, China, Korean, Japan and so on.
> >
> > I was just reminded about this from a discussion we are having about
> > a new calendar system for Hindu holidays.
> >
> > So... whatever happened to this code?
> > Are all the issues from the original discussion fixed?
> >
> > I see that John Layt has this as a TODO item on the 4.2 Feature Plan,
> > so we could conceivably have this included with KDE 4.2 .
>
> I should update the 4.2 TODO to move that to 4.3, but I don't think we have a
> page for 4.3 yet :-)

Anything not marked as "DONE" will automatically propagate to the 4.3 Feature Plan.
As soon as we make such a thing.

> I haven't had a dev machine for a few months so it
> hasn't progressed much further.  One of the astronomical code libraries
> included was confirmed as being in the Public Domain, but the other library
> was not under an acceptable license, so we never got to the code clean-up
> stage.

Ok, that sounds familiar.

> My plan for 4.3 is to look at some generic lunar calendar functionality, with
> the required astronomical calculation routines such as working out the
> sunset/sunrise for the users geolocation (geoclue?) borrowed from or written
> with the assistance of the KStars guys.  This code could then be used as a
> common base to write proper calendar systems for the various calendars that
> rely on this, such as the various Islamic religious  (our current  ones are
> civil calendars that have known shortcomings) and Asian traditional ones.

I would love to see classes for that kind of stuff added to kdelibs.
I need it for use in KOrganizer's new holidays system that I have
had in the planning stage for years.

> My plan for 4.2, now I have a dev machine again, is to finish cleaning-up and
> stabilising the existing calendars before looking at any new calendars in 4.3.
> I also have a proposal for moving Working Week and Day of Prayer to KLocale,
> but that's a separate e-mail.

Great.  Looking forward to it.
As I mentioned, there are also folks looking at other calendar systems needed
for Indian holidays.

-Allen