Is alsa a mandatory requirement for kdebase-runtime?

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Oct 22 08:58:09 BST 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 23:12:44 Harri Porten wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> >> Does anyone have any ideas why it thinks ALSA is required when none of
> >> the other sources do?
> >
> > Some of the phonon plugins need ALSA.
> > But the dependence should be optional.
> > Where and what is the error exactly?
>
> Got it, too. It was the kded module. I disabled the check+message
>
> macro_log_feature(HAVE_CURRENT_ALSA "ALSA" "current alsa-lib is needed for
> dmix and virtual device listing" "http://www.alsa-project.org/" TRUE
> "1.0.14a")
>
> in runtime/phonon/kded-module/CMakeLists.txt.
>
> Seeing that it's optional on Windows and Mac OS I hope it can be made
> optional on Linux and other Unices, too.

Sure, replacing the TRUE with FALSE will make the whole thing compile, with
the ALSA code disabled. Otherwise the code wouldn't be portable to non-
Linux...

But using Phonon like that on Linux... better to disable Phonon altogether.
Your Phonon-Xine will use an ALSA device without dmix, so no concurrent
access. The requirement for ALSA is there because I cannot support anything
else on Linux.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de